Varanasi Silk Long Scarf Heritage Range Rishi Red by Pashmina & Silk
Our Varanasi scarves available from our Heritage Range are made from pure Varanasi silk threads hand spun and dyed and made on traditional hand looms. Each scarf has its own individual design and colour palette and measures 175 cm x 56 cm. There is no better place to buy silk than Varanasi. The silk weaving industry in Varanasi, or Banarasi as it was known, is steeped in centuries of tradition and its hallmark is Varanasi silk .
Since the days when the silk was woven together with gold and silver thread for the Mughal Court, Varanasi silk has been recognised throughout India as a signal of opulence and elegance. Designs are so intricate that to weave one metre of silk will normally take one day. Each handloom is manually operated by three people, the master weaver and two Jori, or weaving assistants. Today and traditionally, silk weaving is done at home by artisans. Varanasi silk means that it can only be made in the districts of Varanasi, Chandauli, Mirzapur, Jaunpur, Bhadohi and Azamgarh in Uttar Pradesh.
The silk is of such high quality that it remains the first choice for women attending important events and Varanasi silk saris and scarves are routinely included in a bride's trousseau as a mark of her sophistication and style.
”Momme” (mm) is a measure of the weight of silk fabric using the scale 1 momme to 3.75 grams per square meter. In comparison “Traditional“ silk scarves typically use silk between 6 and 10 momme, our “Classic” scarves between 8 and 25 momme, and our “Heritage” scarves above 25 momme.
Your scarf is supplied with FREE gift-wrap in attractive ivory tissue and presentational frosted bag along with a FREE message service. Warm to wear and easy care. Your scarf or stole should not require frequent cleaning. If you wish to freshen your item, dry clean it or gently hand wash the whole garment in cool soapy water. Never rub the fibres and always dry flat away from direct heat. When required use a cool iron.
- Key Feature 1: Generous size 175cm x 56cm
- Key Feature 2: FREE SHIPPING by “ROYAL MAIL 24"® GUARANTEED ON ALL ORDERS within UK
- Key Feature 3: FREE MESSAGE SERVICE and wrapping with attractive frosted bag and tissue wrap on all items. FOR THAT SPECIAL GIFT, CHOOSE our GIFT BOX WRAP OPTION at Checkout.
- Key Feature 4: Premium Quality Fine Varanasi Silk, handmade by traditional cottage industries in Varanasi
- Key Feature 5: We only supply garments made with Natural Fibre
- Key Feature 6: FREE PRIORITY POSTAGE on all orders over US$45 or CDN$65 with same day dispatch WORLDWIDE
- Material Composition: Premium Varanasi Silk
- Colour: Red
- Size: 175cm x 56cm